You are here
Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Liberalism in India
About the Program
MOOC on Liberalism in India: Battle of Ideologies, is an attempt by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) to give you an understanding of liberal values in a structured manner.
This is the first attempt of its kind and includes perspectives on different aspects of liberal values such as social, political, cultural and economic.
This course will provide you will;
(a) A systematic and deeper understanding of the fundamentals of liberal values;
(b) Understanding of philosophical foundations that shape ideologies which reflects the course of political action;
(c) Ability to apply liberal values in different aspects of life such as personal, social, economic, and political etc;
(d) Ability to rationalize, synthesize and articulate ideas and actions from a liberal perspective;
(e) Understanding the role of a state and rights of citizens from a liberal perspective;
(f) Understanding of foundations, evolution, and future of liberalism in India;
(g) Ability to understand the impact of controlled/liberalized economy with reference to nationalization, license permit quota system, and collective farming;
(h) Identifying visible changes in Indian cinema and sports with a change in economic management; and
(i) Understanding policy ecosystem impacting life and livelihood of citizens.
The course is divided into five comprehensive modules each with its own assessments. The overall engagement duration is roughly 25-30 hours which can be self-paced over the duration of the course.
Admissions open on 1st May 2022!
The course is self-paced and has to be completed on or before the 31st of July, 2022 for one to be eligible for a certificate.
MODULE 1: FOUNDATIONS OF LIBERAL VALUES IN INDIA
- Liberal values in Indian society
- Religious, cultural and social foundation of liberalism
- Hinduism as a liberal framework
- The idea of a liberal state in Indian society
- Role of philosophical foundations in shaping ideologies
MODULE 2: LIBERTY AND INDIAN SOCIETY
- Individual freedom and caste
- Gender justice and sexuality
- Freedom of speech and media
- Liberal ideas and Indian cinema
- Liberalism in sports and its impact
MODULE 3: LIBERAL VALUES IN INDEPENDENT INDIA
- Analysis of Educational Administration in India
- Reading Data in Education: Key Sources
- Evolution of Education Policy in India
- Understanding RTE
- Advancing Social Justice
MODULE 4: ECONOMIC LIBERALIZATION IN INDIA
- Central planning and its relevance
- Economic freedom and morality of the market
- Policy framework and its implication on livelihood
- Liberalism and the informal economy
- Economic reform and changes in Indian cinema
MODULE 5: FUTURE OF LIBERALISM IN INDIA
- Scope for liberal practice in politics
- Ways to expansion democracy
- Equality and liberty in changing Indian society
- Qualitative and quantitative changes in sports
- Radical liberal ideas for revolutionizing change